Saturday 19 May 2018

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Title: The Cruel Prince
Series: The Folk Of The Air #01Author: Holly Black
Genre:  Fantasy, YA

Pages: 370

Publisher: Little Brown Books

Format: Paperback

SynopsisOf course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.


Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself. (Goodreads Synopsis)

Review: 
I 
 feel like I should mention that there are a few Trigger Warnings, there are some harsh themes that follow in the story which include suicide, sexual abuse, physical abuse and murder.

I Love the cover for this and the title fits the book perfectly. 

Writing a story on fae is something that is hard to master but Miss Holly Black does it effortlessly. The start was super intriguing, I mean her parents are murdered by one of the Fae in front of her and her sisters. I really liked the Heroine Jude as she was headstrong and didn't let the bullies get to her, she held her head up and didn't let them know how much their comments affected her. There were some parts of the book where it felt a little slow and I started to get a bit bored but it never lasted long and picked up the pace pretty quickly. I feel the reason I felt it to be slow was the politics as there was a quite a bit of info for me to wrap my head around.

The world building is fantastic and I love the fact that the book had a touch of romance but it didn't overshadow everything else, it was sporadic. I am exited to see where the rest of the story goes as we were left on a bit of a cliff hanger.

If you love fantasy and Faeries then this one is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back! Have a fabulous day! :)